The rapid growth of Web3 offers exciting possibilities for businesses to engage with audiences in immersive virtual environments. To understand and embrace these new technologies, we hosted an event in a virtual environment for our staff. In this article, we share a retrospective of the Web3-based event and the valuable insights gained throughout the process.
About the Project
Our project centered around the creation of a bespoke virtual environment to explore potential, plausible Web3 integrations with our clients. We sought to find new ways of showcasing client work, encouraging employee engagement, and highlighting the significance of the metaverse. We built a dedicated event space to accomplish these objectives, laying the foundation for alternative event ideas and strategies.
The team used Spatial.io as the platform for building the virtual environment, as it enabled the best in-person feel compared to the others explored. We chose a gallery-style event space as the platform for the event (pictured) to display client work, and then our team of designers got to work. Utilizing exemplary visual assets, our team built a comprehensive, well-designed, and interactive gallery for the event.
In the pre-event phase, meticulous planning and preparations were vital to ensuring a seamless virtual experience. We took the following steps to prepare for the event:
- A dedicated Slack channel was created to foster communication among all employees involved.
- Login credentials and troubleshooting information were shared in advance to streamline the onboarding process.
- Comprehensive instructions for logging in and navigating the virtual environment were documented and communicated.
- During the weekly all staff meeting the day before the event, participants were encouraged to create their accounts, setting the stage for seamless event participation.
The main event, hosted within the virtual environment, was an hour-long session designed for an internal audience. The agenda for the event included:
- Participants logged in and familiarized themselves with the system controls, ensuring they were comfortable navigating the virtual space.
1-Hour Run of Show:
- 10 minutes: Participants went through the login process and became acquainted with the system controls.
- 2 minutes: A captivating introduction by the host set the tone for the event.
- 8 minutes: The background, introduction, and client application were presented, providing valuable context for attendees.
- 5 minutes: The team took the stage to emphasize the gallery's significance and its relation to the broader Web3 landscape.
- 8 minutes: A lively question and answer session allowed for meaningful engagement between presenters and attendees.
- 2 minutes: A group photo captured the collective spirit of the event.
- 1 minute: The event officially commenced, marking the transition to the subsequent activities.
- 25 minutes: The Happy Hour segment allowed participants to move around and interact within the space, providing an informal atmosphere for networking and further discussions.
Following the event, it was essential to maintain momentum and capitalize on the connections made. The post-event activities included:
- Sharing photos from the event and providing attendees with relevant links for further exploration.
- Addressing frequently asked questions (FAQs).
Valuable lessons emerged from this experience that will guide future Web3 events and integrations. Let's explore some of the key takeaways:
What Went Well
- The HPL team displayed engagement throughout the event, contributing to its success.
- The instructions and onboarding process effectively prepared participants, ensuring a seamless day-of experience.
- The opportunity for participants to create and customize their avatars added an element of personalization and immersion. This was a great conversation starter and a source of enjoyment throughout the event.
- The onboarding and configuration process was straightforward, minimizing any technical barriers.
- The utilization of controls such as emojis and clapping facilitated interaction and added to the overall experience.
- Attendees thoroughly explored the virtual space, embracing the metaverse's possibilities.
- The presence of anchor guides proved invaluable, providing assistance and guidance to attendees.
Areas for Improvement
- Greater attention to detail in presenting and displaying photos would have enhanced the overall visual experience.
- Improvements in the controls for moving around the virtual environment would streamline navigation for participants.
- Establishing a dress code and providing instructions for setting up avatars would create a more cohesive and professional atmosphere.
- Providing explicit guidelines on naming conventions would aid in fostering a consistent and organized environment.
- Future project iterations can explore further customization options and limitations within the virtual environment.
- Using a metaverse environment allows a brand to create an immersive, personalized experience for the end user, boosting overall engagement and loyalty to the brand.
- Incorporating merchandise opportunities related to the project presents a promising avenue for engagement and revenue generation.
- Within the environment, art/products can be added to showcase items available for purchase.
- Event-specific opportunities can be created for users to purchase exclusive products, claim discounts, or subscribe to a curated list for email marketing/promotions via non-public web links.
- The metaverse environment has features that allow administrators to verify whether users own a specific ticket, and lock out any user who does not.
- These tickets can facilitate the creation of a variety of events showcasing upcoming releases/news, virtual networking opportunities, and/or e-commerce opportunities that are exclusive to attendees.
The retrospective of this Web3 integration project highlights the importance of meticulous planning, seamless onboarding, and interactive engagement within a virtual environment. By leveraging the power of Web3 technologies and traditional project management expertise, businesses can create immersive experiences that foster connections and drive engagement, and position themselves as thought leaders in the rapidly evolving metaverse. As we continue to explore the potential of Web3, these insights will undoubtedly shape our future endeavors, providing a strong foundation for success with our clients curious to explore the frontier of technology.